Monday, June 11, 2007

The Solar Oven








There were some good days and bad days. My sister, Tana, who's totally awesome, might I mention, she introduced me to solar cooking. Here is my cooker:


A simple car windshield screen folded into a cone, then a black painted pot with an oven bag around it to help insulate.

These biscuits started as a good day- ended up being a bad day.


Here they are halfway thru the day...looking good, just a few more hours to go. But alas, the wind knocked the cooker over, and ants got inside and were all over the biscuits, especially the jelly filled ones.


A good day! Lasagna.


Looks great, right? Tasted pretty good too. I used some ricotta and moz cheese I bought in Chiang Mai. Here's my second serving. yums.


Another bad day, yet ok. I tried making some bread in the cans, and warming up the leftover lasagna. The lasagna worked.


I thought the bread worked...


But the bread didn't work. Not enough rise and too buttery.

maybe another sunny day will come along...but prolly not too soon, with it being rainy season now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wo - those spiders are huge and scary!!! i love the plaid polka dot top and the bag! the lasagna looks yummy!

Tana said...

woohoo! I'm awesome - ha ha. I wanted to experiment with the solar cooker thing this week but it's supposed to be cloudy every single day.